Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Goal Digger


Most people who know me know that I worked for lululemon (#dreamjob).  Working for lululemon was more than just selling stretchy pants and working out, it was a place where I was able to grow & develop not only in my career, but also in my personal life.  It played a major role in the person I am today and for that, I will be forever grateful.  A big part of lululemon culture was centered around goals.  If you walk into a store you will see these goal sheets filled out by all the staff & ambassadors:

Write out your goals and share them with the world!  I vividly remember my first goal coaching session and having some major "ah-ha!" moments.  I left feeling so pumped and frickin excited about my life and what I was working towards.  I also remember struggling hard with my goals when I was pregnant with Nora.  I was feeling pretty lost and unsure of what the future looked like - I just couldn't create a vision for my life in 10 years.  I had no idea what life with a kid was going to be like, we didn't know where Jonathan was going to end up after residency, I didn't know if I would even go back to work after my maternity leave ended.  So many questions and no answers.  I finally just set my goals aside and decided to focus on the present for awhile: let me see what this new role of motherhood would bring me, what living overseas would look like.  And that's what I did (for almost two years).  In that time I really I figured out what kind of parent (and person) I wanted to be, what my values were, what kind of life I wanted to have.  Fast-forward to January 2017 and I was SO ready to get working on creating my goals:


A lot of them I've already put a check mark by (this blog, hello!).  I've been running consistently with Nora every week.  Running with a stroller is serious training, on the rare day that I do get to run solo, my pace is faster than it ever has been (even back when I was training for my first half marathon!).  We've already taken one trip this year, have a second booked (hello Maui!), and the other two are in the works.  The others - photography class & sewing machine - it sounds silly, but it's scary to put those out there.  It's more than just words, now I've put it in writing and sent it out to the universe, so I have to act on it!  My parents got me a camera for my birthday last year and I've been playing around with it non-stop since I got it (pretty much just pictures of Nora, duh, she's the cutest!), but I would love to learn more about how to use it, learn about lighting, and all the other fun things that go along with photography.  Annnnnd the sewing machine.  I have so many friends that sew and I'm always in awe and so inspired by what they create.  I also love to buy Nora handmade items (I'm all about #shopsmall and supporting other moms) and would love to be able to make something for her (and me!).  Finally, taking time for myself - probably the biggest goal I have for myself this year.  I haven't been consistent with this one, but I'm working on it.  I love spending time with Nora and rarely want to leave her (we're both attached, what can I say), but it does me so much good to get out of the house once a week and take time for myself.  It may be going to get a pedicure, going for a run or having a girls' night, having that time away for myself is so important.  And now that I've put them out there, I need everyone to hold me accountable!  
  

I'm still working on my 10 year vision and my 5 & 10 year goals, but I think this is a good launchpad for where I see our life going.  So what goals are you working towards this year?

2 comments:

  1. Great goals!! You should totally check out Chris Willson Photography! He does great workshops around the island. Here's a link to his next one >> https://www.facebook.com/events/349198895476177/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I'll have to check that out, I really want to learn! By the way, I love all your photos, they're just beautiful!

      Delete